A new study published June 2020
“Why does poor-quality #sleep lead to #atherosclerosis?
The study showed how lack of sleep is associated with a chronic circulating inflammation throughout the blood stream; which, in turn, is linked to higher amounts of plaques in coronary arteries💫💫
poor sleep was noted as a key risk factor for cardiovascular disease, which ranks as the top killer of Americans, with some 12,000 deaths each week
Tips to improve sleep quality:
- Maintain a regular sleep routine, going to bed and waking up at the same time each day.
- As part of a nightly wind-down routine, avoid viewing computer, smartphone and TV screens in the last hour before bedtime, and keep phones and other digital devices out of the bedroom.
- Engage in some form of physical exercise during the day.
- Get exposure to natural daylight, especially in the first half of the day.
- Avoid stimulants, like caffeine, and sedatives, like alcohol, later in the day.